City of Flatwoods, KY
2513 Reed Street
Flatwoods, KY 41139
Tel: (606) 836-9661
Fax: (606) 836-4222
Historical Log Cabin
Gilley Log House
Built in the 1840's, the Gilley Log House, a symbol of the pioneer heritage of all Flatwoods residents, is believed to be the oldest dwelling in Flatwoods.
WHAT MATERIALS WERE USED TO BUILD THE HOUSE?
- Settlers used logs from various hardwoods that were likely cut down when a field was plowed for farming.
- The hand-hewn hardwood logs were held together by creek mud and sand from the Ohio river reinforced with "buffalo hair", a common and cheap commodity used in construction in the 1840's.
- The restored log house contains more than seven tons of mortar.
WHAT DESIGN IS IT?
- This "dog-trot" design had a four-room structure with an upstairs and large open breezeway that separated the rooms on each side as if they were twp separate houses, a design common to that era.
- Over time addtions and remodeling concealed the log house.
WHO LIVE IN THE HOUSE?
- Around 1900 Frank Gilley purchased the house. He and his fmaily and their descedants lived in the house for approximatley 100 years.
WHERE WAS THE HOUSE LOCATED?
- The house was built on what became Argillite Road when Flatwoods became an incorporated city a century later.
Gilley Log House
WHY WAS THE IT RELOCATED AND RESTORED?
- 2004 the Gilley family dismantled the house to sell the land. When the log house within was revealed, the family sold the house to a West Virginia company specializing in buying, restoring, and reselling vintage log homes. Residents urged City Officials to keep the log house as a historical building. In July 2004 the City purchased the log house to relocate it to the B.F. Crager Park and to restore it. In late 2004 the building was taken apart and moved to this park for reassembly.
- The City formed the Gilley Log House Restoration Committee to oversee restoration of the house and develop a plan for the building future. The committee retained Stacey Nelson to restore the log house.
- On August 25, 2007, the City dedicated the Gilley Log House at the Flatwoods Homecoming.
WHAT ARE THE FUTURE PLANS FOR THE HOUSE?
- The house which contains local artifacts is available for public meeting and educational programs.
- It may become a Visitor's Center in the near future.
Special thanks to the Greenup Green Fund of the foundation for Tri-State Community, Inc., Kiwanis Club of East Greenup County, Kentucky, Inc., Greenup County Master Gardeners, Flatwoods Women's Club and all those in the community for their dedication and support in restoring/preserving this historical log house.
The cabin is on display and available for tours during the Flatwoods Fall Festival, celebrated in the fall. Historical war reenactment and pioneer reenactments take place by the cabin during the festival.
Bricks located in the walk way to the log cabin are personalized bricks that were purchased to aid the restoration of the cabin.
The video below was made shortly after the discovery of the log cabin (approximately 2007-2008)
A 160 year old surprise
by Log House Productions
When a long standing white clapboard house was being torn down, the town of Flatwoods, Kentucky discovered it was actually a log house built in 1840. To prevent teh loss of a valuable local legacy, the town saved the house and restored it in the public park. This is the story of the discovery, restoration, and dedication of Flatwoods' historic log house.