top of page

Title VI Civil Rights Policy

Click here for the Title VI full policy 

Click here for the Title VI complaint form

Title VI/ADA Complaint Procedures

The City of Flatwoods is committed to a policy of ensuring that no person is excluded from participating in, denied the benefits of, or subjected to discrimination under any program, activity, or service it provides. If you believe you have been subjected to discrimination due to your race, color, national origin, sex/gender, disability, age, and/or religion, or if you have a complaint about accessibility of our services, you can file a complaint. Please provide all facts and circumstances surrounding your issue or complaint so we may fully investigate the incident.

How do you file a complaint?

A complaint form may be requested by contacting: 
- Email:
- Phone: (606) 836-9661
- Mail: Buford Hurley II Mayor, 2513 Reed Street, Flatwoods, KY 41139
- In person: Flatwoods Municipal Building,2513 Reed Street., Flatwoods, KY 41139

You may file a signed, dated, and written complaint no more than 180 days from the date of the alleged incident. The complaint should include:

- Your name, address and phone number
- How, why, and when you believe you were discriminated against. Include as much specific, detailed information as possible about the alleged acts of discrimination and any other relevant information
- The names of any persons, if known, whom the City could contact for clarity of your allegations.


Please submit your complaint form to:
Buford Hurley II, Mayor, 2513 Reed Street, Flatwoods, KY 41139.

Do you need assistance filing a complaint?

If you are unable to complete a written complaint due to a disability, or if the information is needed in another language, we can assist you. Please contact (606) 836-9661 or

How will your complaint be handled?

The City of Flatwoods investigates complaints received no more than 180 days after the alleged incident. The City will process complaints that are complete. Once a completed complaint is received, the City will review it to determine if it has jurisdiction. The complainant will receive a letter acknowledging receipt of the complaint and whether the City has jurisdiction to investigate the complaint.

The City will generally complete an investigation within 90 days of the receipt of the complaint. If more information is needed to resolve the case, the City may contact you. Unless a longer period is specified by the City, you will have ten (10) days from the date of the request to send the requested information. If the requested information is not received, the City may administratively close the case. A case may also be administratively closed if you no longer wish to pursue it.

After the investigation is complete. The City will send you a letter summarizing the results of the investigation, stating the findings, and advising you of any corrective action to be taken as a result of the investigation. If you disagree with the City’s determination, you may request reconsideration by submitting a request in writing to the Corporation Counsel within seven (7) days after the date of the letter stating the specific basis of the reconsideration. The Corporation Counsel will notify you of the decision either to accept or reject the request for reconsideration within ten (10) days. In cases where reconsideration is granted, the Corporation Counsel will issue a determination letter to the complainant upon the completion of the reconsideration review.

Do I have other options for filing a complaint?

We encourage you to file a complaint with us. However, you may file a complaint with:

Mail: U.S. Department of Homeland Security
         Office for Civil Rights and Civil Liberties
         Compliance Branch, Mail Stop #0190
         2707 Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue, SE
         Washington, D.C. 20528

Phone: (202) 401-1474
Fax: (202) 401-4708

Mail: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
        Office of External Civil Rights Compliance
        Mail Code 2310A
        1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
        Washington, D.C. 20460

Phone: (202) 564-3316
Fax: (202) 565-0196

How do I obtain more information?

If you need additional information on the City of Flatwoods nondiscrimination obligations or complaint


procedures, please contact Buford Hurley II, Mayor, at (606) 836-9661. 

bottom of page